Monday, October 25, 2010

Review: Second Chances by Lauren Dane

Ten years ago, Rori Simon left town shy, unattractive and with zero self-esteem. Now she’s back, older, stronger and finally loving herself—and it shows. Hot men are soon knocking at her door, including Jude Callahan, the bad boy who starred in her teenage daydreams…and her adult fantasies.

Jude can’t believe the sexy, confident woman before him is actually Rori! She’s gotten under his skin like no other woman has…and brings out secret desires he can’t resist. He wants to dominate Rori with every fiber of his being. Wants to own her and pleasure her. To cherish her as he makes her his.

Rori discovers she likes being controlled. She also knows Jude is not a one-woman man. Everything changes when she meets Zach Helm. Edgy, sensual Zach knows just what she needs, and before long, she’s in love. Jude watches them together and wonders if he’s lost his chance forever…


Given that I absolutely love Laid Bare and Coming Undone, I expected to feel the same way about Second Chances.  (I also wanted an "in-between" to tide me over until Inside Out releases on November 2.)  Unfortunately, I didn't. 

I wanted to though.  Oh, how I wanted to.

Rori and Jude have some smokin' sexual tension (and their sex is uber hot too).  Then boom!  The flames are doused in the first third of the novella.  Granted it's because of Jude's behavior that the non-couple breaks up, but I was surprised to find Rori be attracted to Zach so quickly.  It seemed almost a case of the pot calling the kettle somewhat black. 

Rori jumps headfirst into a relationship with Zach, a decision Zach eagerly agrees to.  Jude is then delegated to the background, moping and complaining about how he loves Rori, but she's with another man so he's lost his chance. 

I think I just wanted more from Rori, Zach and Jude.  More consideration for the other party, more sincere apologies when necessary, more true reactions when wronged or hurt.  Does that mean more drama?  I don't know.  There was just something missing, and my anticipation of learning their story lessened the more I read. 

I will admit that, given how Second Chances ended and the cover copy for Believe, the sequel of sorts, I am anxious to read Believe to revisit these characters.

(A very special thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of Second Chances.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails