Thursday, March 10, 2011

Review: Mistress by Midnight by Maggie Robinson

First comes seduction. . .


As children, Desmond Ryland, Marquess of Conover, and Laurette Vincent were inseparable. As young adults, their friendship blossomed into love. But then fate intervened, sending them down different paths. Years later, Con still can't forget his beautiful Laurette. Now he's determined to make her his forever. There's just one problem. Laurette keeps refusing his marriage proposals. Throwing honor to the wind, Con decides that the only way Laurette will wed him is if he thoroughly seduces her. . .

Then comes marriage. . .

Laurette's pulse still quickens every time she thinks of Con and the scorching passion they once shared. She aches to taste the pleasure Con offers her. But she knows she can't. For so much has happened since they were last lovers. But how long can she resist the consuming desire that demands to be obeyed. . .?


As much as I enjoyed Mistress by Mistake, I had high expectations for Mistress by Midnight.  It was touch-and-go for a while...

What I believe made relating to Laurette and Con so difficult was the use of flashbacks.  Just when I thought I understood what had happened between their younger selves, a flashback would take me out of my reading flow.  Granted, the flashbacks were important to fully understanding the love and friendship they'd once shared, but I didn't like it, especially because they did seem so prevalent in the first half of the book.  Once Con takes Laurette away from Jane Street, the flashbacks lessen and we're given more of their story in the present. They had to reconnect on an emotional level (rather that just a physical one) in order for me to connect with them too.

So, a little disappointing, but I'm still looking forward to the third book of the Courtesan trilogy.  

(A very special thank you to Maggie Robinson in whose Twitter contest I won an ARC of Mistress by Midnight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails