Friday, April 22, 2011

Review: The Perfect Play by Jaci Burton

Football pro Mick Riley is an all-star, both on the field and in the bedroom.  But a sexy, determinedly single mom just might be the one to throw him off his game...

For years Mick has been taking full advantage of the life available to a pro athlete: fame, fortune, and a different girl in every city.  But when he meets and beds confident, beautiful event planner Tara Lincoln, he wants much more than the typical one-night stand.  Too bad Tara's not interested in getting to know football's most notorious playboy any better.

As the single mother of a teenage son, the last thing Tara needs in the jet-set lifestyle of Mick Riley, even though their steamy and passionate one-night stand was unforgettable.  Her life is complicated enough without being thrust into the spotlight as Mick's latest girl du jour.  Tara played the game of love once and lost big, and she doesn't intend to put herself out there again, especially with a heartbreaker like Mick.

But when Mick sets his sights to win, nothing will stop him.  And he has the perfect play in mind. 

Notwithstanding the cover, well, it's difficult to look past the cover, isn't it?  Man titty, ahoy!  Actually, my favorite part of the cover may be the "hip divot".  But seriously, open the book and read a really great erotic romance.

Ms. Burton was one of the first erotic romance authors I ever read six years ago.  I remember blushing even now.  (Oh how times have changed.)  While I've dabbled in some of her other series, I've never been hooked by them, so I was very happy when I found out she was writing a contemporary sports-themed series. 

I breezed through The Perfect Play over the course of two days, and I really liked it a lot!  There's sex -- of course, it's an erotic romance -- but it's not overly done.  There's some moments of tension, one which I thought would become the "Big Misunderstanding" that might ultimately break Mick and Tara apart.  It features a secondary character, Liz, who is the heroine of the second book Changing the Game, and I'm interested to see if Ms. Burton can make Liz a likeable heroine because she's a true piece of work in The Perfect Play

Regardless, The Perfect Play had exactly what I needed.  It was, in a word, perfect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails