Friday, June 10, 2011

Review: Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison


Half human and half Wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the Wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their Dark Fae enemies.  But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful--and passionate--of the Elder Races.

As the most feared and respected of the Wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed.  And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they've ignited in each other.

Pia knows she must repay Dragos for her trespass, but refuses to become his slave--although she cannot deny wanting him, body and soul...


My Twitter stream was BUZZING about this book.  Everywhere I turned, I saw good things and high praise.  Because of that, my expectations were elevated, and I found myself a bit disappointed because I didn't love it as much as everyone else.

Don't misunderstand -- Dragon Bound is a very good book and a great start to an intriguing paranormal romance series.  It's a series I hope will bring characters we met to the forefront in subsequent books yet still strive to tell the plot arc(s) we learn as this world unfolds.  The big picture, if you will, like who or what exactly is Pia's mother. 

The worldbuilding was phenomenal.  I found myself able to dive right in without having to backtrack to understand various components of the interlocking Other realms.  I loved Pia and Dragos together, though his possessiveness at first was off-putting.  Yes, he's an ultimate alpha; I wanted him to question why he wants her so much, why he couldn't control his feelings around her.  (Don't alphas do that?)  Pia was more difficult to pin down because of her...personality, I suppose.  Maybe it's not her personality so much as her reaction to various instances: the dream she and Dragos share; the aftermath of fighting the goblins; when they arrive in Manhattan.

Regardless, I'm glad I caved to the peer pressure and read Dragon Bound.  I'm looking forward to Storm's Heart very much (c'mon August).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails