Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Review: Pleasures of a Tempted Lady by Jennifer Haymore



Forbidden passion is the ultimate temptation…

Captain William Langley knows the ocean well, but nothing could prepare him for what he discovers adrift on the cold Irish Sea. The tiny boat carries two passengers: a child—and Meg Donovan, Will’s long-lost love. Meg’s disappearance at sea eight years ago was a devastating blow. Now she’s back, as beautiful as ever, and with secrets as deep as Will’s own . . .

After years held captive by a cold-blooded pirate, Meg has finally escaped with little Jake, the boy she’s come to love as if he were her own. But the pirate wants his revenge—and Meg must do whatever it takes to shield Jake from the madman. Determined not to lose Meg again, Will vows to protect them both, yet Meg can’t risk putting the only man she’s ever loved in danger. With the threat to her safety growing, and her passion for Will burning brighter every day, surrendering herself to Will might be a pleasure too tempting to resist . . .



It's difficult to like a heroine when you tend to disagree with her choices and actions.  That was my problem with Meg Donovan.  I understand the past eight years of her life have been difficult, but she continually keeps her family and Will at arm's length when, were I in the same situation, I would think I'd be overjoyed to have been reunited with them.  Her experience has changed her, yes, so I suppose her trepidation is to be expected. 

I enjoyed the youngest sister, Jessica's, love story much more than I enjoyed Meg and Will's, and I am a little disappointed we see more about her pending courtship.

Since Pleasures of a Tempted Lady brings the series to a close, I do wonder what happened to the Donovans' mother.  She's described as a desperate lady, though that should be obvious since she forged letters to Will from Meg after Meg's disappearance and forced Serena to take Meg's name and return to England.  Would the sisters bring her to England?  Would she remain in Antigua?  What would become of her?  I never considered her evil, but she is certainly driven, misguided, and selfish.      


(A very special thank you to Forever Romance, Hachette Book Group and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of Pleasures of a Tempted Lady.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails