Monday, November 5, 2012

Review: Lord of Temptation by Lorraine Heath


"Three young heirs, imprisoned by an unscrupulous uncle, escaped--to the sea, to the streets, to faraway battle--awaiting the day when they would return to reclaim their birthright."

Once upon a time, he was Lord Tristan Easton--now he is Crimson Jack, a notorious privateer beholden to none, whose only mistress is the sea. But all that will change when exquisite Lady Anne Hayworth hires his protection on a trip into danger and seduction. . .

Desperation brought Anne to the bronzed, blue-eyed buccaneer. But after the Captain demands a kiss as his payment, desire will keep her at his side. She has never known temptation like this--but to protect her heart, she knows she must leave him behind. Yet Tristan cannot easily forget the beauty--and when they meet again in a London ballroom, he vows he won't lose her a second time, as fiery passion reignited takes them into uncharted waters that could lead the second lost lord home. . .


The second book in Ms. Heath's The Lost Lords of Pembrooke trilogy, Lord of Temptation didn't hold up as well as I had hoped in relation to book one, She Tempts the Duke.  Maybe it's because I like the friends-to-lovers trope incorporated in She Tempts the Duke; maybe it's because the Tristan Easton we met in She Tempts the Duke isn't at all who we see in Lord of Temptation.  I'm not sure.  But I will admit is was depressing to finish Lord of Temptation and not love it as much as I have loved Ms. Heath's previous books.   

I think my issues stem from a variety of reasons, not solely that I didn't like Tristan or Anne as main characters.  By the halfway point of the novel, I wanted them to resolve their issues separately and come together collectively.  The pacing of the narrative seemed slow, and I wasn't as swept up in their courtship as I expected to be.  

That being said, I do intend to read the third and final book, Lord of Wicked Intentions (April 2013). 

(A very special thank you to Avon Books and Edelweiss for providing me with an ARC of Lord of Temptation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails