Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Review: Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase


From the Journals of Sophia Noirot: "A dress is a weapon. It must dazzle his eye, raise his temperature . . . and empty his purse."

A blue-eyed innocent on the outside and a shark on the inside, dressmaker Sophy Noirot could sell sand to Bedouins. Selling Maison Noirot's beautiful designs to aristocratic ladies is a little harder, especially since a recent family scandal has made an enemy of one of society's fashion leaders. Turning scandal to the shop's advantage requires every iota of Sophy's skills, leaving her little patience for a big, reckless rake like the Earl of Longmore. The gorgeous lummox can't keep more than one idea in his head at a time, and his idea is taking off all of Sophy's clothes.

But when Longmore's sister, Noirot's wealthiest, favorite customer, runs away, Sophy can't let him bumble after her on his own. In hot pursuit with the one man who tempts her beyond reason, she finds desire has never slipped on so smoothly . . .


I could not put this book down.  The plot -- the eventual pairing of Longmire and Sophy -- was obvious from the first book of the series, Silk is for Seduction, but I still enjoyed every moment of Scandal Wears Satin.   

"I thought you were going to leave me here," she said.
"You talked me out of it...a moment ago...when you were against the wall, under Lady Flinton's window."
 "Oh, yes--and speaking of that--"
"Oh, good," he said. "We're going to discuss it now."
"We certainly are," she said. "I had all my clothes on this time, so don't try to use any excuses about my being mostly naked."
"I don't need an excuse," he said. "But it might be that you have too many clothes on."

While Scandal Wears Satin was not as sensual a romance as Silk is for Seduction, I do think it's still a very good addition to the series.  Longmire's sister, Clara, causes some headaches along the way, but I think those moments were supposed to draw Longmire and Sophy closer.  Regardless, I'm anxious for the third Dressmakers book, Vixen in Velvet (August 2013). 
(A very special thank you to Avon Books, Harper Collins and Edelweiss for providing me with an ARC of Scandal Wears Satin.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh this book sounds wonderful <3 hopefully I get to read it soon myself!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails