Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Review: The Last Cowboy in Texas by Katie Lane


NO SAD SONGS HERE, DARLIN'

Country music princess Starlet Brubaker has a sweet tooth for moon pies and cowboys: both are yummy-and you can never have just one. Now Beckett Cates may not be a cowboy, but he certainly has the heart, soul-and body-to whet her appetite. He's a sexy ex-Marine with a touch hotter than the scorching Texas sun and arms strong enough to catch her when she lands into trouble.

Playing bodyguard to America's sweetheart isn't easy for Beckett. But falling for her sure is. Unfortunately, Starlet has a reputation for keeping a guy or two wrapped around her finger and Beckett refuses to be anybody's backup. So now it's up to Starlet to prove that she's put her cowboy-crazy days behind her. Otherwise, she'll be singing solo instead of living in harmony with the man who's loved her even before her fame and fortune.

 "Bramble was a happily-ever-after kind of place. A place where hearts healed. A place where dreams came true. A perfect place to call home."

The best thing about The Last Cowboy in Texas was seeing those minor characters I've loved get their happily-ever-afters.  Kenny Gene, Rachel, Twyla, Mayor Sutter and core characters from other books returning for short mentions. 

I wasn't as connected to Starlet and Beckett as I should have been, but I attribute that to the fact I didn't read book five, Flirting with Texas, which features Starlet's crush, Beau.  I felt any connection Starlet had with Beckett would have begun in that book.  I also don't believe there was a lot of strife or tension between Starlet and Beckett, certainly not enough to sustain my attention for an entire book, which is probably why minor characters were featured so heavily.

What I really wanted to happen was for Starlet to kick her family and her manager out of her life.  I'm not sure how she can excude so much confidence on stage, yet manage to be so timid and meek in every-day dealings.  

As it were, things ended in Bramble exactly how they should have, and I'm happy to have been along for the ride.    

(A very special thank you to Forever Romance, Grand Central Publishing, and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of The Last Cowboy in Texas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails