Monday, June 14, 2010

Review: Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts

Wedding baker Laurel McBane is surrounded by romance working at Vows wedding planning company with her best friends Parker, Emma, and Mac. But she's too low-key to appreciate all the luxuries that their clients seem to long for. What she does appreciate is a strong, intelligent man, a man just like Parker's older brother Delaney, on whom she's had a mega-crush since childhood.



But some infatuations last longer than others, and Laurel is convinced that the Ivy League lawyer is still out of her reach. Plus, Del is too protective of Laurel to ever cross the line with her-or so she thinks. When Laurel's quicksilver moods get the better of her-leading to an angry, hot, all-together mind-blowing kiss with Del-she'll have to quiet the doubts in her mind to turn a moment of passion into forever...


This is the third Nora Roberts book I've read -- I decided to pick the Bridal Quartet to jump into her writing -- and it might be my favorite of the series thus far.  And that might be because there were more teasers of Parker and Mal...

But I digress.

The relationship between Laurel and Del is a favorite plot of mine: friends to lovers.  It's the same dynamic we were introduced to with Emma and Jack in Bed of Roses, but Laurel and Del just have more chemistry.  They bicker, they deny their feelings, they hem and haw, then Del tosses her into the pond and they're both goners. 

Some of their magic seemed to fizzle, though again, once Parker and Mal came onto the scene through various meet-ups, Laurel and Del were lost to me.  We already knew they'd be hooking up; and now it was time to see a preview of how explosive the combo of Parker and Mal could be. 

I think I'm going to like Happily Ever After best.

One thing that bothers me about Ms. Roberts' writing is the dialogue exchanges when multiple characters are present.  It's difficult to keep straight who's talking and who's responding.  Chances are, it's not who I thought.  So, I have to read the longer dialogue passages a couple of times -- and even analyze them aloud -- in order to keep the players straight.  That's not to say I want "he said/she said" attached to ever line.  (I don't.)  But her conversations are fast-paced, probably more true to real life when three or more friends are in the same room, and I'm the eavesdropper, attempting to make sense of it all. 

Regardless, I've enjoyed the series thus far and am looking forward to its conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails