Friday, August 6, 2010

Review: All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins

One Happily-Ever-After Rocking Chair…


and no sign of any forthcoming babies to rock in ol' Georgebury, Vermont. For Callie Grey, turning thirty means coming to grips with the fact that her boss (and five-week fling) is way overdue in his marriage proposal. And way off track because Mark has suddenly announced his engagement to the company's new Miss Perfect. If that isn't bad enough, her mom decides to throw her a three-oh birthday bash in the family funeral home.

Bad goes to worse when she stirs up a crazy relationship with the town's not so warm and fuzzy veterinarian, Ian McFarland, in order to flag Mark's attention. So Ian is more comfortable with animals…. So he's formal, orderly and just a bit tense. The ever-friendly, fun-loving and spontaneous Callie decides it's time for Ian to get a personality makeover. But dang, if he doesn't shock the heck out of her, she might actually fall for Vermont's unlikeliest eligible bachelor….

This was the first book I've read by Ms. Higgins, despite having bought each of her previous releases.  What made me decide to continue with this one past the first chapter, I cannot say.  It might be Noah, because by Chapter Three, I was hooked (and half in love with the cantankerous Grampy). 

Callie's relationship with Ian is certainly unusual.  They are almost polar opposites, though that made for some of the funniest dialogue exchanges and situations.  I didn't like the "big misunderstanding" toward the end of the novel (though I predicted it would happen).  Also, there shouldn't be death in romance novels.  (I realize life isn't 100% happy all of the time but dang, I didn't expect it -- and it made me cry.) 

Still, a sweet contemporary romance with happily-ever-after chair included. 

(A special thanks to Net Galley for providing me with the ARC of All I Ever Wanted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails