Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: One More Summer by Liz Flaherty


Grace has taken care of her widowed father her entire adult life and the ornery old goat has finally died. She has no job, no skills and very little money, and has heard her father's prediction that no decent man would ever want her so often she accepts it as fact.

But she does have a big old house on Lawyers Row in Peacock, Tennessee. She opens a rooming house and quickly gathers a motley crew of tenants: Promise, Grace's best friend since kindergarten, who's fighting cancer; Maxie, an aging soap opera actress who hasn't lost her flair for the dramatic; Jonah, a sweet, gullible old man with a crush on Maxie.

And Dillon, Grace's brother's best friend, who stood her up on the night of her senior prom and has regretted it ever since. Dillon rents Grace's guest house for the summer and hopes to make up for lost time and past hurts—but first, he'll have to convince Grace that she's worth loving...



When I finished One More Summer, I wrote on GoodReads it was the saddest book I'd read in a while.  That is 100% true.   If you read it, have tissues at the ready.    What surprised me most was how sad it is, given the blurb doesn't seem to convey that fact.  This book is sad; Grace is an unhappy and very damaged heroine; there are bad things happening to those around her; she discovers -- and reveals -- some startling truths as time progresses.  That Dillon comes into her life for the summer is a small piece of the whole picture.  So in that respect, I would classify One More Summer as women's fiction than romance.  But once I started reading, I had a difficult time stopping, despite the tears in my eyes and the tissues clutched in my hand.

(A very special thank you to Carina Press and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of One More Summer.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails