Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Best of 2011

Given how many books I read (and covet), it's sometimes difficult to narrow down those I consider amazing and awesomely good.  Apparently, 2011 was the year of the series for me, because several of my choices are just that.

I've listed the books I consider amazing and awesomely good in alphabetical order.



In looking at Ms. Bond's website for her upcoming books, I stumbled upon the Sweetness, Georgia series.  It technically begins with a short novella, Baby, I'm Yours, but the crux of the series is about the Armstrong brothers who return to their hometown following their respective military careers in order to rebuild it after an F-5 tornado touches down.  Baby, Drive South not only gets the reader into Sweetness ten years after the fact; it's the best book of the series, in my opinion. 


 

This book came along for me at the absolute perfect time.  Full of sexual tension, sex, and some great characters.  Loved it!


 

 The Dark Age Dawning series [Nightfall, Midnight, Daybreak] by Ellen Connor 
(aka Ann Aguirre and Carrie Lofty)

A little bit paranormal romance, a little bit urban fantasy, a little bit apocalyptic adventure, and a little bit of romance and hot sex.  Roll all those ingredients around and you have this series.  Nightfall scared the beejeebus out of me -- demon dogs, anyone? --  but putting aside my fear of things that go bump regardless of the time of day, this series is oh so good.  Nightfall and Daybreak were my favorites, and I'm just a tad bit sad we won't be able to revisit these characters.



 

Tessa Dare's writing is what keeps me coming back.  The lush descriptions, the turn of a phrase, and man, the sexual tension she conveys between her characters is off the charts.  I cannot wait to read the next Spindle Cove novel, A Week to be Wicked (March 2012).  


   
  Drake's Rakes [Barely a Lady, Never a Gentleman, and Always a Temptress] by Eileen Dreyer

When I interviewed Ms. Dreyer last year, I told her I thought this series should be named "The Graces" as the respective heroines can all be referred to as "Grace" in some form or fashion.  I also enjoy reacquainting myself with all the rakes, so I do hope more from this series is forthcoming.  



A spin-off (in part) of her first series, this trilogy focuses on the Rising Chef competition.  I really enjoyed Too Hot to Touch, have Some Like it Hot in my TBR stack, and am looking forward to Hot Under Pressure (March 2012). 



My reading this paranormal romance is proof that buzz sells books, and Dragon Bound is so worth it.  I have essentially reached my paranormal romance peak; I don't seek it out nor do I strive to keep up with what's what.  (Paranormal romance was my genre of choice from 2005-2008.)  But I am so glad I listened to those tweets and picked this book up.


 Waking Up With the Duke by Lorraine Heath

Another great series ending book.  Unrequited love and guilt play deep roles here, but the ending is so sweet and emotional.



I don't have enough good things to say about this book.  I've read everything Ms. Hoyt has written, and Scandalous Desires may be her best work.  Don't delay; read it!  Then you'll be ready for Winter's book, Thief of Shadows (July 2012).  



I too have read everything that Ms. James has written, and A Lot Like Love is my absolute favorite, perhaps her best.  My only complaint is that she only writes one book a year.  


 
Unveiled and Unraveled by Courtney Milan

Ms. Milan is a new-to-me author.  I'd tried to read her debut, Proof by Seduction, but couldn't get past the first thirty pages.  Unveiled pulled me in from the first page. 


 

This book was a great end to a series.  It makes an excellent companion to Ms. Robinson's debut, Mistress by Mistake


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails