Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review: His Convenient Virgin Bride by Barbara Dunlop

He never imagined the incredible beauty would be a virgin! Yet just weeks after their roll in the hay, Stephanie Ryder was expecting his baby. Now millionaire Alec Creighton's once orderly world was slipping out of his control. Especially when her older brothers demanded that he propose to their sister. With the ceremony imminent, how would Alec wheel and deal his way out of it…or should he? Knowing the delights his bride offered, would having her in his bed be a pleasure he could afford?

I wish I could say this book was as good as the previous two in the series, but it wasn't.  Or I didn't like it as much.  The mystery surrounding the Ryders and Frank Stanton was solved, with little to no real problems in any family dynamic.  (I would have preferred to keep the hypothesized outcome of the first two books.)  Stephanie's marriage of convenience turns into true love.  Everyone gets everything they ever wanted!  

Ugh.  

An aside for a moment:  I read because I enjoy reading, something my mother encouraged me to do from the time I learned to read.  I read all genres -- except horror because I nightmare easily -- so what I really want from a book is a good story.  That's it.  A good story to keep me engaged. 

The conflicts were too quickly resolved and glossed over.  Things just work out so nicely for the Ryders.  No one really gets mad; no one really expresses any kind of irritation.  I realize word count is a factor (a hindrance?) and there are probably certain romantic aspects authors must adhere to but I wanted someone -- particularly Stephanie -- to get bleepin' angry. 

Perhaps I just expect too much from this category line because, more often than not, I'm disappointed once I reach the end.  [In the effort of full disclosure, I've read four Desires and did not finish one. Maybe I'm not reading the right authors.  I'll take a chance.  Leave me some suggestions in the comments!]  Then again, I could just be a glutton for punishment because I've got two more Silhouette Desires on my TBR pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails